Welcome to Good Shepherd Church – Drums, Pennsylvania
Contacting our Pastor, Office Manager, and Webmaster
Because of the inordinate amount of spam that has recently been received via our email contact forms, please direct all inquiries to Father McHugh, Erin Braddock, and Chris Tino to the email address for the parish: firstname.lastname@example.org. We greatly appreciate your cooperation and understanding in this matter.
The Solemnity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus
Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus is one of the more popular devotions in the Catholic Church. In honoring the Sacred Heart, we are honoring the compassion and love of Jesus. Saints and mystics have found the Sacred Heart a wonderful subject for meditation. Among the earliest saints to have devotion to the Sacred Heart were saints Gertrude, Mechtilde, Juliana of Norwich and Catherine of Siena. In 17th-century France, we had the beginning of devotion to the Sacred Heart as we know it today. France was infected with Jansenism, where human sinfulness was deemed too great to merit forgiveness. Devotion to the Sacred Heart, with its loving image of Jesus, helped overcome Jansenism. Margaret Mary Alacoque (1647-1690) was a Visitation Sister and mystic who fostered devotion to the Sacred Heart and the first Fridays of the month. The spiritual writer and bishop, St. Francis DeSales, and the priest, John Eudes, also promoted devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. John Eudes also was the leader in promoting devotion to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Pope Pius XI declared St. John Eudes the father of the liturgical cult of the Hearts of Jesus and Mary. In 1856, Pope Pius IX made the Sacred Heart a feast of the universal church. Since, the feast has been raised to the dignity of a solemnity. Among the religious orders that have fostered devotion to the Sacred Heart are the Carthusians and the Jesuits.
Know Your Parish Council
Go to the Pastoral Council section of our website (use navigation bar on the left side of this page) to learn about this ministry and to see an updated list of Council members.
You will also find a nomination form there which you may submit online if you are interested in serving on the Good Shepherd Parish Council.
Women of Good Shepherd Church – Scholarship
The Application for the Women of Good Shepherd Church Scholarship – 2016 – is now available on the “Downloads” page of our website. Only completed applications will be accepted. The deadline is May 13th. The scholarship will be presented at the 10:00 AM Mass on June 5th honoring our high school seniors.
Good Shepherd Summer Festival
Bingo at Good Shepherd Church
Quick Links: Good Shepherd Events – Sunday, May 29 to Sunday, June 5
- Sunday, May 29: Corpus Christi Solemnity Eucharistic Adoration at St. John Bosco, Conyngham
- Monday, May 30: Calvary Cemetery Mass, Drums
- Monday, May 30: Memorial Day Services at Calvary Cemetery, Drums
- Tuesday, May 31: Crochet for a Cause at Providence Place, Drums
- Tuesday, May 31: Bingo
- Wednesday, June 1: Salvation Army Lunch Project
- Friday, June 3: First Friday Mass and Devotions
- Saturday, June 4: Rosary of the Unborn
- Sunday, June 5: Breakfast
- Sunday, June 5: Mass for Graduating High School Seniors
- Sunday, June 5: Anniversary Mass at St. Peter’s Cathedral, Scranton
(Click on a link to go to related page/section for more information.)
All current ministry schedules are available on the “Downloads” page of our website:
- Lector Schedule – April 2 to July 24, 2016
- Extraordinary Minister Schedule – April, May, and June 2016
- Altar Server Schedule – April, May, and June 2016
- Greeter Schedule – April, May, and June 2016
- Cantor/Accompanist Schedule – November 28, 2015 to June 26, 2016
From Our Music Ministry
- Beginning on September 20th, we will introduce a new Mass setting, “The Mass of Christ the Savior.” It is the Mass setting that is most widely used in our diocese at the present time. Initially, we will begin by learning the Gloria and gradually add the other selections. A copy of the music will be placed in each pew for the congregation to follow along. As the cantors being reviewing the new music, we ask for your full participation. The music is beautiful and lively and will enhance our worship in giving glory to God.
- The Hymn and Responsorial Psalm Selections for May 15, 2016 (Pentecost) to July 10, 2016 (15th Sunday in Ordinary Time), are now available on the “Downloads” page of our website.
Looking for St. John Bosco Information?
Because Good Shepherd Church and St. John Bosco Church of Conyngham, Pennsylvania are no longer “linked,” you will note that this site is devoted to matters related primarily to Good Shepherd Church. You may visit the St. John Bosco website at www.stjohnboscochurch.org or contact them by phone at (570) 788-1997, or email: email@example.com.